Hot GPU

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
dwax

Hot GPU

Post by dwax » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:42 am

I noticed my GPU runs pretty hot when I have allot of tracks and trains. The fan kicks in high speed but it still runs at 65 Celsius. Dose everyone have this problem? I have a PCIE Sapphire X800GTO. I have good ventilation, the system fan will kick in when it gets too hot. that brings in air and vents hot air.

recca421

Re: Hot GPU

Post by recca421 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:16 am

dwax wrote:I noticed my GPU runs pretty hot when I have allot of tracks and trains. The fan kicks in high speed but it still runs at 65 Celsius. Dose everyone have this problem? I have a PCIE Sapphire X800GTO. I have good ventilation, the system fan will kick in when it gets too hot. that brings in air and vents hot air.
I Don't necessarily think it's a problem per se. My Geforce 7600GT-OC gets to about that temperature as well during games of SMRR, and that's with using Rivatuner 2 Final in order to set the fan to run faster than normal.

Default fan speed settings for my card are 31%, 65%, 65% - This means that during 2d display, the fan spins to 31% of it's maximum (whatever that is), when showing low-power 3d it uses 65% of max speed, and during high-powered 3d scenes it also spins at 65%. In an attempt to keep the temps down , I made a fan profile which brings the fans up to 50%-70%-80%, but even this only pulled a few degrees off my max temps.

I also have a permanent-running intake fan in the front of my machine, an ANTEC vga-slot cooler (3-speed) cranked up to high, and a software-controlled vari-speed 120mm fan at the back of the case (which I turn up to 100% service for the duration of any gaming session.

I am assuming you know the "death" temperature of your card, and that's what you're comparing the running temps to. My card is manufacture-rated to bite the big one at over 100 Celsius. Unless your card is cooled worse than mine, I doubt you'll ever have to worry about heat issues with a modern card.

Once I move the PC out of my bedroom I won't care so much about noise, but right now I try to keep it quiet so's I can get some sleep for work.
-------------
The towels . . . the mysterious towels . . . the towels of destiny . . . Suzy's towels . . .
-------------